Saturday, April 7, 2012

WHITE BEAN VEGAN BLONDIES: CCK'S GENIUS BLONDIES ARE GOOD!


On that wonderful time-sucking website, Pinterest, I saw a recipe that I wanted to try.  The first time I made Chocolate Covered Katie’s genius blondie bars, I did not think they were post-worthy.  To be fair to Katie, I mutilated her recipe the first time.  Today, I barely modified her recipe & they turned out much better.   If you have not discovered Katie’s website yet, check it out!  It is full of creative ways to eat chocolate in a sneakily healthy way. 


INGREDIENTS (Will yield 16-20 small or 9 large squares)
1 can
Cannellini beans*, drained & rinsed
¾ tsp
Baking powder
1/8 tsp
Baking soda
1/8 tsp
salt
2/3 cup
Brown sugar**
1 tsp
Vanilla extract
¼ cup
Oatmeal***
¼ cup
Applesauce, apple butter, OR a nut butter, or a mixture of these
1/3 cup
Chocolate chips (or carob)
*
CCK used garbanzo beans
**
I used molasses in my 1st attempt.  My husband said that batch tasted “earthy” & “like dirt.”  I don’t recommend molasses!
***
The original recipe calls for ground flaxseed.

PREPARATION
1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2.  Blend all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor.  I had to scrape the sides down frequently.  Fold the chocolate in last.

3.  Spread evenly into a greased baking dish (mine was 9x9”).  Bake for 40 minutes.

4.  Let the blondies cool in the baking dish.  They will be undercooked, but they will harden as they cool.  If you overcook the blondies, they will not be as good.

If you are put off by texture mismatches, be forewarned that this bean-based dessert does not have the texture of traditional cookie or blondie.  If you care more about taste than texture (or like undercooked cookies), you’ll probably like this high protein, high fiber, gluten-free, chocolaty treat!   See her recipe post for the nutritional data. 

Following Eat Right For Your Type?  Click here to jump to Dr. D'Adamo's Typebase Index to see how the ingredients in this recipe work for you.
Do you want to learn more about the Blood Type Diet?  See the links I have posted in the left column of this site under the heading "Learn More About the Blood Type Diet."

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments or suggestions, please share them!