Sunday, April 22, 2012

Potato Fennel Soup With Caramelized Onions


I rarely follow a recipe exactly as written, but today I am glad that I did (okay, my version is 2% different).  I made potato-fennel soup from The Moosewood Cookbook, & it is amazing!  This filling soup is easy, tastes rich, & can be made without any dairy products if you prefer. 

INGREDIENTS
Yield = 6-8 servings; Time = 40 min
1 Tbsp
Butter or olive oil
2
Onions, thinly sliced (to yield 4 cups)
4-5
Fist-sized potatoes, slightly peeled & cut into thin 1-2” long pieces
½
Fennel bulb, minced (to yield 1 cup)
½ tsp
Caraway seeds
1 ½ tsp
Salt
4 cups
Water
Optional ingredients
To taste
Cayenne pepper (the original recipe calls for white pepper)
A few pinches
The green feathery part of the fennel, minced
1 Tbsp
Plain yogurt or sour cream (whisk in a small bowl to thin before mixing into the soup)
To taste
Fresh chives or parsley would also pair well with this soup

PREPARATION
1.  In a dutch oven or large pot, melt the butter.  Add the onions & 1 tsp salt.  Cook over med-low heat, stirring frequently for 15-20 min.  The onions should be very soft & light brown.


2.  Add the potatoes, ½ tsp salt, fennel, & caraway seeds.  Sauté for 5 min over medium heat, and then add the water.  Bring to a boil, then simmer partly covered for another 10-15 min until the potatoes are soft.

3.  I used an immersion blender to slightly puree the soup, but that isn’t necessary.

4.  Adjust the seasoning when done.   I topped my soup with a swirl of 1 Tbsp plain yogurt, a few pinches of minced fennel top, & cayenne pepper.  It is delicious on its own, too.

Enjoy!

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE 
Potato Leek Soup
These other soup recipes

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER 1/2 FENNEL BULB?
Make Jewels' Fantastic Fish marinade!  I made this soup because I had 1/2 a bulb leftover from that recipe.

Thank you for leaving a comment, if you choose to.  I read each one, & genuinely appreciate your feedback!  
Following Eat Right For Your Type?  Click here to jump to Dr. D'Adamo's Typebase Index to see how the ingredients in this recipe work for you.
Do you want to learn more about the Blood Type Diet?  See the links I have posted in the left column of this site under the heading "Learn More About the Blood Type Diet."

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments or suggestions, please share them!