Wednesday, February 29, 2012

GINGER SYRUP

The first time I ever had ginger syrup was when I made ginger gelato last November.   The recipe called for ginger pieces simmered in simple syrup for an hour.  The pieces went into the gelato, & the sweet/spicy ginger-infused syrup was left over.  I used it on pancakes, in oatmeal, in green tea, & with plain yogurt with fruit.  Now, if I have ginger root left over from preparing a meal, I make ginger syrup.  Ginger syrup can be used to make easy ginger ale, & the pieces can be used in baking (for example, Lemon-ginger walnut bread), in granola, making ice cream, or as a simple treat.  

INGREDIENTS
¼ lb (~ ¾ cup) Ginger, peeled & diced or grated
1 cup turbinado sugar (or white)
1 cup water

PREPARATION
1.  In a small saucepan on medium heat, mix the sugar & water.  Stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer.
2.  Add the ginger, & simmer, covered for about an hour (the time depends on the thickness of your ginger pieces).
3.  If you are using the ginger for another recipe, remove it from the syrup.  If you want thicker syrup, simmer uncovered until it reduces to the viscosity you prefer.
4.  Store the syrup in an airtight container once it has cooled, & refrigerate.

I want to…
make ginger ale
Put a little syrup (~3Tbsp) in a glass; add soda water & a little lime.  My favorite summertime cocktail is spiced rum with ginger ale.  Now that I know how to make it myself, I’m sure I’ll like it more!
For a different method of making homemade ginger ale, visit this site.
make candied ginger
Toss the ginger pieces in a little sugar & spread out on a parchment paper-lines sheet.  Let them dry out for about 8 hours.

make a ginger mojito
Prepare a mojito like you normally would: muddle mint in a glass, add some ginger syrup instead of simple syrup, add ice, rum, club soda, & lime juice.  Garnish with mint leaves & lime wedge.  



The next time I make ginger syrup, I will use diluted honey rather than simple syrup; I'll let you know how it turns out...

Enjoy, & let me know what you think if you try this!

Learn more about Ginger from Wikipedia


Following Eat Right For Your Type?  Click here to jump to Dr. D'Adamo's Typebase Index to see how the ingredients in this recipe work for you.
Do you want to learn more about the Blood Type Diet?  See the links I have posted in the left column of this site under the heading "Learn More About the Blood Type Diet."



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments or suggestions, please share them!