Saturday, January 28, 2012

TURKEY, VEGETABLE, & CARAMELIZED ONION PASTA


Do you ever have a day that you just dread boring things like grocery shopping, even if it has to be done?  That was how I felt today.  It's the end of January, but today was a beautiful, warm day in L.A.  A lazy summer feeling came over me after my workout, so I opted out of grocery shopping.  For dinner, I made my husband spaghetti with ground turkey.  I'm not eating tomatoes or wheat these days, so I looked at what was in the fridge & pantry.  I was inspired by a great side dish I've made in the past: caramelized onion & roasted red pepper linguine (Bon Appetit March 2002).  I turned that delicious side dish into a main dish with more color.  It was very tasty!  Here is my experiment:

TIPS:  
  • I ate this with quinoa spaghetti.  Whichever pasta you choose, I recommend a smaller noodle, like penne or shells, for easier eating if you use ground meat like I did.  (One night I ate leftovers with brown rice, & that was tasty!)
  • If you prefer a different meat, try that instead!
  • The original recipe is a side dish; omit the meat & that's what you'll have.  If you choose to omit the meat, use spaghetti or linguine noodles. 
35-40 min total

INGREDIENTS
1.25 lb lean ground turkey
1 large onion, halved & sliced thin
2 zucchini, sliced thin
1 16 oz jar roasted red peppers (or 1 fresh, sliced thin)
2-3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Tbsp butter
olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
basil
oregano
sage
Parmesan cheese, grated (~1/8 cup)
Romano cheese (~1/8 cup)
 PREPARATION
1.  In a heavy skillet (I used my dutch oven) melt the butter & add a little olive oil.  Add the onions & saute on medium-high heat for 20 min, or until soft & caramelized.  Stir occasionally & don't let them burn.



2.  While the onions are cooking, cook the ground turkey.  When done, drain & set aside.
3.  While the turkey & onions are cooking, mince the garlic, & thinly slice the roasted peppers & zucchini.
4.  Boil a large pot of water for your pasta to cook in.  Add the pasta once boiling & cook per it's instructions.  If it's done before the vegetables, set aside.   
5.  When the onions are done, add the zucchini.  Cook 3 min, stirring occasionally. Add about 2 Tbsp water.

6.  Add the sliced peppers & minced garlic to the onion mixture.  Cook 1 min.
7.  Add about 3 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar & the spices (about 6-8 shakes of the spice jar) to the pot & mix well.  Cook 1-2 min.  
8.  Add the cooked ground turkey to the pot & mix.  Add the grated cheese & mix well.  

9.  Serve over pasta & enjoy!

If you make this, let me know what you think!  







YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Quinoa Primavera

ER4YT Ingredient Ratings for B+/Nomad
(Please see the disclaimer at the bottom of the website regarding this table.)
Ingredient
My SWAMI Nomad B+ Secretor Rating
B+ Secretor ER4YT Rating
Turkey
Superfood
Neutral
Onion
Superfood
Neutral
Zucchini
Neutral
Neutral
Roasted Peppers
Neutral
Beneficial
Garlic
Temporary Avoid
Neutral
Butter
Superfood
Neutral
Olive Oil
Super Food, Diamond
Beneficial
Balsamic Vinegar
Temporary Avoid
Neutral
Basil
Superfood
Neutral
Oregano
Superfood
Neutral
Sage
Superfood
Neutral
Parmesan Cheese
Superfood
Neutral
Romano Cheese
Temporary Avoid
Neutral
Quinoa (pasta ingredient)
Superfood, diamond
Neutral
Rice (pasta ingredient)
Superfood
Neutral

Following Eat Right For Your Type?  Click here to jump to Dr. D'Adamo's Typebase Index to see how the ingredients in this recipe work for you.
Do you want to learn more about the Blood Type Diet?  See the links I have posted in the left column of this site under the heading "Learn More About the Blood Type Diet."

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments or suggestions, please share them!