Friday, January 27, 2012

THE BEST SALMON RECIPE EVER




On a cold November day, I was tailgating at a Buffalo Bills game.  Just when I was beginning to doubt my choice to attend that game on such a cold day, an amazing aroma overwhelmed me.  The source of that wonderful smell was a large foil packet on a tray, & someone was bringing it my way.  I never really liked salmon before, but this recipe converted me.  Not to sound cliche, but that salmon melted in my mouth.  It was hot, salty, sweet, & spicy all at once.  When I asked how to make it, I couldn't believe how easy it was!  Ten years later, I am still making this recipe.

Someone asked me if the marinade I used for the Jan 25th flank steak recipe would be good with fish.  I am pretty sure it would be, although I don't think fish would need to marinate so long.  While I am sure that would be delicious, I am positive that the Buffalo Bills game salmon recipe is better for fish.  I hope that you try this simple recipe & love it as much as I do!  Make sure to read the tips before the recipe.

5-10 min prep
cooking time varies with salmon thickness...10-20min
This skinny piece took 10 min on a propane grill on medium heat, offset from the flame.

INGREDIENTS

a large salmon fillet (skin on or off)
2 Tbsp butter 
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 Tbsp brown sugar (or honey, but preferably brown sugar)
2 Tbsp low-sodium Tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 large pieces of aluminum foil

TIPS
  • Before you begin to cook the sauce, measure out all of the sauce ingredients, lay the salmon out on the foil, & warm the grill.  The sauce cooks very fast.
  • Butter is the only fat I've used that this is good with.  I have tried other fats, but the recipe really is better with butter.  If you use less than 2 Tbsp, there isn't enough liquid to coat the fish.
  • This sauce comes out very spicy.  The original recipe called for 2 tsp red pepper flakes.  I have reduced it to only 1/2 tsp.  Adjust this based on your preference. 

PREPARATION

1.  Start your grill
2.  Measure out all of the sauce ingredients.

 3.  Lay the salmon out on 2 long pieces of aluminum foil, arranged in a cross.  You will be pouring the finished sauce over the fish, wrapping/tenting the foil, & grilling the fish in the foil packet.  Make sure the foil is long enough to do this.

4.  In a small skillet, melt the butter.  Once the butter is melted, reduce the heat to medium & add the minced garlic.  Cook the garlic 30sec-1min.  Don't let it brown.


5.  Add the brown sugar (or honey) & mix.  After ~ 15 sec, add the tamari & red pepper flakes.  Mix well & turn off the heat. Let the sauce stand a few seconds before pouring over the salmon.


6.  Pour the sauce over the salmon, then tent the foil, being careful not to push the top of the foil onto the fish.  Grill the foil packet for 10-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon fillet.  
                       


Tonight I served this with brown Basmati rice & leftover roasted vegetables.  Here are other sides I have served this with: mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, asparagus, green beans, salad.  

If you make this, let me know what you think!  

B+ingredient breakdown (first is the B+ rating from ER4YT, second is my SWAMI Nomad/B+ rating).  At this point, I mainly follow the bloodtype guidelines.
(Please see the disclaimer at the bottom of the website regarding this table.)
sockeye salmon: B+ beneficial, nomad/B+, diamond
butter: B+ neutral, nomad/B+ superfood
tamari: B+ neutral, nomad/B+ avoid 
brown sugar: B+ neutral, nomad/B+ avoid 
honey: B+ neutral, nomad/B+ superfood
red pepper flakes: B+ neutral, nomad/B+ avoid 



Following Eat Right For Your Type?  Click here to jump to Dr. D'Adamo's Typebase Index to see how the ingredients in this recipe work for you.
Do you want to learn more about the Blood Type Diet?  See the links I have posted in the left column of this site under the heading "Learn More About the Blood Type Diet."

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Hi! I have a question about cooking the salmon.. I don't have a flame grill, so could it be cooked in the oven or under the grill in and electric oven?

    Stumbled across your blog link in the comments on BRTV - your BRTV guide is great! Thank you for putting it together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiziana,

    You could bake it at 400 for about 10-15 min, or until the salmon meat flakes easily with a fork.  I would still bake it in aluminum foil wrap, but lay the foil packet on a baking sheet for easier handling.  Let me know how it turns out!

    I'm glad that you like my BR guide :)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Can't wait to try it.. will let you know how it goes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried baking the salmon with this glaze, so I am very interested to know how it turns out!  You're a B+ too, & you found me through Bodyrock?  That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After making the sauce in the skillet I put the fillets in the skillet for about 10 minutes, turning once. DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try that, thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this marinade is delicious. i added grated ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is delicious. I even used it on shrimp. Sooo good. I baked it in foil in the oven @400 degrees for about 1/2 hour because I like my salmon well-done. Oh n I quadrupled the sauce recipe because I wanted the fish saucey n so I could have some sauce to pour over my rice. My fiancé really like it n said that this is food that should be served at a restaurant. Yay me!!! Thank u for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

If you have comments or suggestions, please share them!